So you’re curious about essential oils? Spanning the likes of skincare, beauty, perfumes and wellness, essential oils are extremely popular for their wide and varied benefits. But with so much conflicting information out there, we figured we’d talk all things essential oils in skincare so you can enjoy using them to your advantage. Let’s get to it!
What are essential oils?
Let’s start from the top. Essential oils are highly concentrated plant (including flower) extracts that, once obtained, feature unique and aromatic fragrances. There are thousands of essential oils and they each boast unique benefits. Essential oils are often enjoyed in the home (diffusers), in aromatherapy, perfumes and even in beauty and skincare too.
Why are essential oils used in skincare?
Essential oils are often used in skincare to bring a sensorial, pampering, at-home spa experience to your daily routine. Not to mention, essential oils often bring their own set of skincare benefits to the table - antibacterial, antimicrobial, anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory properties, anyone?!.
And that’s exactly why we use them at RAWKANVAS – to bring you a truly sensorial, pampering experience while enjoying the extra skincare benefits that essential oils can provide. There’s nothing quite like the scent of lavender while its anti-inflammatory properties soothe the skin as well as the mind. Ahhh!
What you may have heard…
But, when it comes to essential oils in skincare, you may have heard that these can induce irritation, redness and skin sensitivities. And while this can be true, it’s not an accurate representation for all essential oils. That’s why it’s important to know which oils are good for the skin and which oils simply aren’t (e.g. citrus oils, mint oils), while considering the usage amount too.
We’re going to stick to the positives and outline the good essential oils that we use, and explain the correct (and safe) usage amount for you too.
What are the benefits of essential oils in skincare?
Overall, essential oils can contain the likes of antibacterial, antimicrobial, anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory properties that can assist in everything from fighting breakouts, protecting your skin and soothing your skin too. Other oils can enhance skin suppleness, even skin tone and radiance too.
What essential oils are used in RAWKANVAS skincare?
We have infused our skincare range (at .1%) with the following essential oils for you to enjoy twofold:
- Ambrette – A potent anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and antibacterial ingredient
- Clove – Is a powerful anti-ageing ingredient that can reduce sagginess of the skin and help to prevent the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Frankincense – Can assist with the fading of scars, healing breakouts and enhancing skin suppleness and glow
- Gardenia – Contains antibacterial, antiviral and anti-fungal properties that can assist wounds to heal faster
- Jasmine – Helps to reduce dark spots and uneven skin tone. It also helps to lighten scars from breakouts too
- Lavender – Is an anti-inflammatory that can reduce redness and help balance out moisture levels in your skin too
- Lemongrass – Has natural astringent properties which can fight breakouts by acting as an antimicrobial. It can also assist in polishing dead skin cells for brighter skin too
- May chang – Includes mild astringent properties that can nourish and refresh the skin which is particularly helpful for oily and breakout-prone skin
- Neroli – Contains antibacterial, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties that are useful for breakout-prone and oily skin
- Pink lotus – With plant compounds, vitamins and minerals this oil is capable of purifying and rejuvenating dull and lifeless skin
- Rose de mai – Rose oils are a powerful anti-inflammatory agent and tissue re-generator. It can assist with healthy-looking skin and moisturizing dry skin too
- Rose geranium - Rose oils are a powerful anti-inflammatory agent and tissue re-generator. It can assist with healthy-looking skin and moisturizing dry skin too
- Sandalwood – Contains anti-inflammatory compounds and can promote moisture in the skin
- Sweet orange - Can boost circulation, reduce dark spots and improve uneven skin tone, assist to fight off breakouts and free radicals too
- Tuberose – Contains anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties while delivering stimulation and hydration to the skin too
- Vanilla – With niacin, thiamine and pantothenic acids, this essential oil can assist overall skin health, help to clear breakouts and prevent fine lines, wrinkles and age spots too
- Violet – Containing high anti-inflammatory properties, this essential oil can soothe breakouts and the likes of eczema too
- Ylang ylang – Can assist to inhibit pigmentation in the skin
The usage of essential oils in skincare
Research shows that if essential oils are diluted to certain levels, then they cause very little concern when it comes to safety implications (e.g. irritation, redness and skin sensitivities). Simply put, experts recommend a diluted concentration of essential oils between 0.5% – 1.0%. So if essential oils are used within this safe range, and they’re the right essential oils, then you can absolutely enjoy the benefits they each present!
At RAWKANVAS, our blends sit well below the safe range (0.5% - 1.0%) at 0.1%.
If you’re feeling a little curious, patch test
If you have sensitive skin or you’re feeling a little curious about essential oils, your best bet is to patch test your skin. You can do this by applying a swatch of the skincare to the inside of your arm and letting it absorb completely. In 48 hours, check to see how your skin has reacted.
Storage and care
As with all RAWKANVAS products, we recommend storing below 30°C/86°F, away from direct sunlight, humidity and moisture, so as not to spoil any of the ingredients and essential oils.
At RAWKANVAS, we love essential oils! The subtle (and safe levels) of aroma not only smell gorgeous in your daily routine but they come with their own set of benefits that are infused in with all our other key ingredients.
When it’s the right essential oils used within recommended levels, it’s a great outcome to truly enjoy sensorial skincare.