Chances are you haven’t been laying awake at night wondering what your skin cycle is. And you don’t need to! Because we’re here to tell you what it is, why it even matters and how you can help speed up your skin cycle (side note up-front: it slows as we mature) for fresher, smoother and more vibrant skin (really!).
What’s a skin cycle?
While we live our days 24 hours at a time, our skin is in a constant cycle of renewal that lasts an average of 28 days! Basically, our body produces new skin cells at the deepest layer of the epidermis which then work their way to the surface of the skin, where they reach maturity (aka what we call ‘dead skin cells’) and begin to flake off. And so it goes, on repeat!
When the skin cells reach the surface of the skin they’re strong and healthy and they play a role in the skin’s barrier function (protecting us from nasties while also sealing in moisture). But the skin cycle isn’t clear cut (not all skin cells got off the mark at the same time when the race started!) – which is why sometimes you’ll notice patches of dryness and breakouts, or uneven skin tone, while the rest of the skin could be oily or perfectly glowy! The more you know, right?!
What affect’s the skin cycle?
The skin cycle varies from person-to-person, and it’s affected by the likes of age, hormones, health, stress and the condition of your skin too. Sadly, the skin cycle slows down as we mature… From say 19-21 the skin cycle is speedier at just 14-21 days, as an adult is around 28 days, and when we reach our 40’s and 50’s it’s around 45-60 days.
Why is the skin cycle important?
There’s benefits to working our skin cycle the right way!
Because when dead skin cells accumulate on the surface of our skin (as they do when the cycle is slowing) they can cause the likes of sagging, fine lines, wrinkles, dullness, discoloration and breakouts too – and we think this is totally unnecessary given it’s just some pesky dead skin causing this!
And the good news is, we can actually accelerate our skin cycle to keep fresher skin cells flourishing at the surface of our skin. We’re talking softer, smoother and more vibrant skin.
How do I speed up my skin cycle?
Take back some control. You can easily speed up your skin cycle and cellular turnover by adding a few key products into your routine!
- Polished: Refining Exfoliant Easily polish away dry, rough and dead skin cells to reveal your fresher skin cells while also improving the absorption of your following skincare products too! (This is especially important if you’re using the likes of a retinol – you want to absorb all of that).
- Canvas: AHA & BHA Resurfacing Treatment Set and forget with a chemical peel that dissolves the dead skin build up for you, while also clarifying pores, diminishing excess oil and boosting hydration too.
- The Foundation: Flawless Retinol & Vitamin C Lotion Actively speed up skin cell renewal and resurface your skin courtesy of retinol (a powerhouse ingredient in the skincare world). It can brighten, smooth and firm as well.
- Lustre: Renewing Bakuchiol & Champagne Decolletage Lotion Don’t forget the neck and decolletage too! An alternative to retinol, Bakuchiol can also work to speed up skin cell renewal and resurface your skin too – this time, specifically at your neck and dec.
- Luna Vitality: Restoring Moisture Cream Now that you’re enjoying fresher skin cells, compliment your routine by adding a product to nourish and hydrate these cells. Luna Vitality is a luxuriously rich blend of butters and oils to leave your skin soft, revitalized and plump with lasting hydration.
If this isn’t the easiest way to address unnecessary skin sagging, fine lines, wrinkles, dullness, discoloration and breakouts… then we don’t know what is! Enjoy that softer, smoother and more vibrant skin.